These are our favourite 9 techniques for energetically clearing spaces, stones, people, energy tools like wands or pendulums, etc. You need to clear/cleanse regularly. You may intuitively sense that something is “off”, or your tools may stop working for you. If you have recently done any protection work, are recovering from illness or have come in contact with negative energy, these tips will help you to move that trapped energy.
1. SMUDGE – Burning sacred herbs such as sage or sweetgrass is a traditional tool used in indigenous cultures and many spiritual practices around the world. In South America Palo Santo wood is burned. Eastern Cultures burn incense. See our instructions on smudging techniques for more information.
2. SOAK – Running water, preferably a natural source like a creek or lake, can wash negativity away. If there is a termination, or point on the object, aim it to flow down the drain, flushing the bad energy away. Some stone are water soluble like selenite or angelite, so check with the staff before using this technique if you are unsure. Most quartz will be safe with this method, with the exception of opals.
3. SUNLIGHT (or moonlight) – Being exposed to direct sunlight or moonlight (particularly full moon light) for a period of up to 24 hours will cleanse objects. Be aware that some stones like amethyst will fade in sunlight if left for prolonged periods of time.
4. SALT – Burying objects in dry sea salt or Himalayan rock salt will cleanse them. Particularly effective for longer periods – up to three weeks. Ensure that salt is disposed of in the garbage or flushed down the drain after use so that you don't reabsorb the negativity. Bathing with salt is great for cleansing you!
5. SOIL – Burying objects in Mother Earth will help them recharge and cleanse. Be aware! Gaia loves to have them returned to her and sometimes it's tough to find them again. I like to bury them in a clay pot that is buried in the soil.
6. STRUCTURE - The sacred geometric shape of a pyramid will cleanse and recharge objects as well. Copper wire pyramids are particularly effective.
7. SENSITIVITY – Everyone can be trained to energetically clear themselves and objects by using their own intuitive sensitivity to channel the Divine White Light from our higher consciousness. This light will flow into you Crown chakra, through your Heart chakra and out through you hands. Circling your open palm counter-clockwise while focusing the beam of White Light will clear blockages. Only trained professionals should use this technique on other people or animals, but it is safe to use on yourself and your energy tools.
8. SOUND – The most innocuous of clearing technique, (if your neighbors don't mind!) is sound clearing. Drums, rattles, singing bowls, bells, whistles, tuning forks can all be used effectively to bust up sticky energies.
9. SELENITE & SHUNGITE – These miracle stones are proving to be amazing at clearing you, your space, your energy tools and other stones. Carry them with you to protect you from harmful EMFs from cell phones and computers.
Sometimes more than one technique may be required. Smudge during a full moon while playing a sound tool, or wash your tools before leaving them in dry salt for a period of time. There are many other ways to remove blocked energy, but these 9 will help get you started.